Tuesday, 8 March 2016

Early Memories - July 2009


Falling a few days behind on my weekly updates so I'll try to catch up a little and get 2 posts done this week. Feels strange that with the snow now gone, the reality of summer approaching is starting to hit a little closer. That, and I talked with Dave for a few minutes about the wedding last night which I guess sort of puts me on the clock in terms of whatever I am supposed to do as the Groom. Luckily, Jaime says all we have to do is dress ourselves and she will provide the ties to match the bridesmaids outfits.

Anyways, skipping through the pictures file and as if there was any doubt on our next big event - Avery's birth! Born a healthy 14 days after the due date and with no hint of it (sex was as yet undetermined) ever wanting to come out, Jaime was induced at the PG hospital.
"and awayyyy we go!"
We then went home to wait for her to feel like giving birth, which if i recall didn't take too long. I think we were back at the hospital in an hour. Unfortunately, that wasn't foreshadowing. We were in the hospital all night and sometime after midnight Jaime finally asked for an epidural for the pain.

The baby's heartbeat kept increasing and both were starting to develop a fever so it was decided a C-section would be done that day, scheduled for about 2pm. I was to wait until Jaime was prepped before I was allowed to go in. So I'm waiting w/ the nurse in my very own scrubs in a room and then someone rushes in and says; 'Hurry, they're waiting for you!' so the nurse and I run down to the O.R. where there is a giant meeting going on (I'm thinking there must have been 10 people) around the lower half of Jaime's body which I can't see. All I see is her head, the rest separated by a greenish-blue curtain.

Add caption
My role was a simple one; to sit there, not look at what's going on downstairs and when it was time, to tell Jaime the sex of the baby. So, I barely sit down and the doctor does his thing and the nurse yells out "the husband has to tell her the sex!" so he lifts this purply creature for me to see like Simba from the Lion King and I proudly go "--!".

I can't tell the sex of the baby as the umbilical cord is running down between it's legs. I look at the doctor in shock and kinda shrug my shoulders. He sees what's happened and flips the baby over.

"It's a girl!" I exclaimed and Jaime and I started tearing up. They put the baby into an incubator type thing as they start doing a quick inspection, counting toes and such. The baby is really purply-red with dark hair. I don't recall if she was crying. They take her away to ICU (because of the fever) and Jaime and I are separated. She's really pale but has a smile on her face. It's 2.30ish, July 21st.  

I honestly don't recall what happened after that for a few hours. I remember Jaime's friend Chelsea taking a picture of me with the baby. I think I got to hold her before Jaime...but I could be wrong. I must have called our folks and did all that new Dad stuff. There were some pictures and by the time night came we were exhausted. Jaime still hates me to this day for sleeping through the night as the nurses were trying to help the baby latch on for breastfeeding, despite my argument that I was really, really tired...)

Baby and Mom looking so much better the next day.
For added fun, I had to drive down to Cache Creek to pick up Jordan for his weekly visit 2 days later while baby and Mom were still in the hospital. For added, added fun when I left the hospital I found someone had vandalized our vehicle. Despite the anti-theft devices and stickers on the window, someone still tried to jimmy the ignition, which resulted in a quick fix and bill at Honda. Thankfully, they stole only some CDs but left the $350 dollar stroller and babyseat in the back.

Welcome to being a New Dad - the world still sucks.

No, it doesn't. Living proof right here...
Avery Morgan James Royston

1 comment:

  1. fabulous job announcing the sex, I didn't even notice you scrambling. Although you were much quicker announcing with Kennedy

    ReplyDelete